Originally built in 1874 by Roland Barnard for $500.00, this historic home is the only B&B in Saugatuck to be recognized on both the State of Michigan as well as the National Register of Historic Places. The “Warner P. Sutton House” was owned by the Sutton family from 1877 to 1913. Warner Sutton was born to pioneer parents who settled in Michigan in 1830. Warner rose from humble beginnings to become the Superintendent of Saugatuck Schools, then Consul General to Mexico. He’s noted for doing much to improve US & Mexico relations. After leaving Consular service Warner Sutton began practicing international law on behalf of the US and before he retired served under General Miles during the Spanish American War. Together with his wife, Lois May, they raised four children and retired here calling the home, “The Beeches” because of the grove of Beech Trees up on the hill on Pleasant Street.
In 1986 the house was saved from demolition due to the hard work and restoration efforts of Jim & Sherron Lemmons and eventually became “Beechwood Manor Inn Bed & Breakfast” in 1990.